Thursday, January 24, 2008

New Delhi to Bilaspur Trip Part 1

Finally the night of 01 Aug 2007 came for which the wait of 15 days (since reservation) were like ages! We started at 1900 hrs for our train which was scheduled to depart at 2040 from NDLS. Before reaching NDLS there was an unusual shower and a usual heated argument with Auto/Taxi driver.
We entered a relatively empty looking NDLS station and my first sight was my favourite WAP1. 22034 from GZB came in with ASR Dadar Exp in pf 9. Our train was displayed in pf 10 so we descended there.

I was wondering which loco might be incharge that day. My thoughts favoured WAP1 (which has always been there) or a BRC WAP4 which was seen often leading it. Some wilder thoughts came in favour of a higher WAP loco too. We were standing near the ned of pf 10. I asked a vendor where the A3 coach of BSP Raj is expected. He told me to move further ahead. Just then the coach number display board blinked and indicated that BSP Raj and JAT AC SPl both were to depat from Pf 10 only. Jat AC SPl was to depart at 2030 hrs.

Finally the train arrived and incharge was a GZB WAP1 22037. My coach was fifth from the loco. The rake was Loco-SLR-H1-A1-A2-A3-PC-B1 to B4-SLR. We departed NDLS at 2043 hrs. We halted at Shivaji bridge and Tilak Bridge before NZM for a few seconds. We passed NZM at 2102 hrs. I could see the Bhopal Exp (NZM - Habibganj) waiting for starter at Pf 3 led by a WAP5. (Couldnt see its road no though).

The scheduled non stop run till Jhansi was marred by some unwanted stops. 2230 we stopped again. Dont know where and why. At 2235 we crossed Mathura in a decent speed. (Is there a speed limit in MTJ?). Train was picking up speed but then again we stopped for a few seconds at 2245 hrs. Well in excitement I forgot to mention the occupancy of my coach and its condition. The occupancy was 50-55% on that day. And the coach was again Oldish. Seemed like IR is struggling to maintain this coach! From my window I could see that at 2305 hrs we crossed an Exp led by a Mid Head light loco. At 2312 we crossed Raja Ki Mandi at a low speed. (Again is there speed restriction here?). 2317 hrs we stopped again for a few more seconds. Agra we crossed at 2327 at a very very low speed. After Agra I accidently went into deep sleep. When I waked up after an hour and a half my only worry was "Have we crossed Jhansi?" I looked at my watch and I was relieved to find that there is still some time for Jhansi!

0143 hrs we reached Jhansi and we were alotted Pf 3. Saw some action at Jahnsi too. 18864 R brought in Pushpak Exp. While 20620 WAM4 was attached in its rear. (Does it reverses at Jhansi?) We rolled out of Jhansi at 0153 hrs. After Jhansi it was smooth run till Babina which came at 0220hrs. Finally my moment came at 0257 hrs when we crossed Lalitpur at a very high speed. I could see clear sign of rains in the Pf and my window. Also sound of rain drops beating the coach was also a proof of rains. I wished had I been outside and watching this high speed Raj action in rains in such an odd hour. What a thrill!!!

Again a smooth ride for some times. But we were held up before Bina at 0331 hrs. We finally moved again at 0404 hrs. A very long halt. I only know how I survived it amid repeated requests from y body for Some sleep. We crossed Bina @ 0411 hrs. After Bina we were again held up @ 0422 hrs. I saw in my cellphone and the place was shown as "Kurwai". After that I slept again. Just hoping I get up before Bhopal.

I got up at 0607 hrs. I felt as if we were still. I was very happy to see outside and found ourselves at Bhopal. Finally I managed to do what I have never done earlier. Seeing Raj stop at all its scheduled stops. A nostalgic thought but still.... (after all what else a railfan can think!)

No comments: